Are Brita and Pur Water Pitchers BPA-free?

My family has used a Brita pitcher for years to filter our water and make it safer to drink and I have always insisted our kids use it, rather than drink directly from the tap. Recently, though, I began to wonder if the pitcher itself might contain a dangerous chemical — bisphenol A (BPA) — that could leach into the water.

Tap water, up close
If you’re concerned enough about health to investigate water pitchers, you might want to pay attention to fracking — the gas extraction method that threatens drinking water safety. Filters won’t help if the radioactive material and other chemicals associated with fracking get into your water.

So, a couple of months ago, I used the contact form on Brita’s website to ask. I didn’t mention BPA directly. I simply asked what kind of plastic the different pitcher parts were made of.

Since Pur makes a similar pitcher, I decided to submit the same question to them. As Pur claims that its pitcher reduces pharmaceuticals from the water — which would be wonderful if true — I also asked what drugs the pitcher filters and how.

Following are the answers I received from each, and below that, an assessment.

Brita’s Response

Dear Ms. Eisenberg,

Thank you for contacting us.

The pitcher lids and filter housings are made of Polypropylene plastic. The reservoirs and pitchers are made either from NAS (a Styrene based plastic) or SAN (Styrene Acrylonitrile). The soft-touch handles are made from an elastomer called Santoprene (not to be confused with Latex or Neoprene). Our products do not contain any bisphenol A and are all tested by the NSF (National Sanitation Foundation) for safety and wetted contact. Unfortunately the pitcher materials are not recyclable, and therefore do not have a plastic number. Please contact us at any time if you have additional questions.

Again, thank you for contacting us.

Sincerely,

Candy Thoma
Consumer Response Representative
Consumer Services

Pur’s Response

Dear Ms. Eisenberg,
Hi Sheryl,

Thank you for contacting Pur.

There is no BPA present in any PUR pitchers/dispensers or lids. Pur pitcher/dispenser bodies are manufactured from an acrylic-based polymer classified as recycling code #7. Pur pitcher/dispenser lids are manufactured from polystyrene, code #6. Pur pitcher/dispenser filters are made from polypropylene, code #5, and also contain no BPA.

All Pur pitchers/dispensers undergo independent safety testing by NSF International, a not-for-profit certification agency for water treatment and other products. Our products meet all industry standards and specifications for material safety and chemical extraction. I’ll share your comments with the team.

Pur water filtration system is the first leading brand to claim reduction of pharmaceuticals identified in U.S. tap water. The new research shows that Pur Water Filtration Systems remove more than 99 percent of pharmaceutical compounds from America’s tap water using the Pur faucet filters and more than 96 percent with Pur pitchers.

Pur effectively reduces five different categories of medication including:

Hormones: prednisone, prednisolone, progesterone, testosterone and cortisol.

Antibiotics: ciprofloxacin, administered in tablet form to prevent certain infections caused by bacteria,as well as sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim, which are administered intravenously to treat a wide variety of bacterial infections including pneumonia, and urinary tract and intestinal infections.

Antidepressants: fluoxetine, prescribed to treat a variety of conditions, including depression and other mental/mood disorders.

Anti-anxiety medication: meprobamate, a treatment used to relieve nervousness or tension that exceeds stress of everyday life.

Painkillers: ibuprofen and naproxen.

Thanks for writing.

Jim
Pur Team

My conclusions

Brita: Neither polypropylene nor the styrene compounds used in Brita pitchers contain BPA, so I feel comfortable that the company’s BPA-free claim is true. Styrene is a worrisome chemical in its own right, but I feel reassured in this regard by the statement that the pitchers are tested by the NSF for safety and by NRDC’s and EWG’s comments on the subject. I am continuing to use our Brita pitcher at home.

Pur: As far as I know, acrylic does not contain BPA, so the Pur pitcher would also seem to be BPA-free. That said, I did not find the statement about Pur products meeting “industry standards and specifications for material safety and chemical extraction” at all reassuring. Industry standards are rarely stringent enough. (Sadly, even the standards of the FDA, which continues to allow BPA in food and beverage containers, are not high enough to protect people’s health.)

The question of how Pur’s pitcher reduces pharmaceuticals was not answered. There was merely a vague assertion that “the new research shows” pharmaceuticals are reduced. If Pur had convincing, independent research to back up its claim, I suspect it would have been more speciific.

, , , , , ,

72 Responses to Are Brita and Pur Water Pitchers BPA-free?

1. wendy November 18, 2009 at 5:50 pm #

I was just washing out our Brita pitcher and had a sudden panic about this question. Was very happy and relieved to read your research. Thanks!

• Tambra August 7, 2010 at 5:32 pm #

I had this question as I was pouring a glass of Brita water and think of my pregnancy. Thank you for the response. I have shared it with friends.

• caitlyn October 18, 2011 at 2:41 am #

I have to question why Britta or Pur wouldn’t market their pitchers as BPA FREE if they really are. Especially in this day in age.

One way to check for polycarbonates (which contain BPA) is to look for the triangle stamp on or near the bottom: polycarbonate plastics should have the numeral 7 in the triangle, sometimes with the letters PC. Unfortunately, 7 is a catchall “other” category for a variety of plastics. Plastics with the recycling labels #1, #2 and #4 on the bottom are better choices because they do not contain BPA. Yet Pur states they use #5,6,& 7.

• john April 22, 2012 at 7:16 pm #

i was concerned about this too. thank you!

2. Anonymous December 4, 2009 at 7:57 am #

Thank you for your thoughtful analysis.

3. Anonymous December 10, 2009 at 12:17 am #

Terrific info. I have been using a brita filter/pitcher for years and have become very concerned. Thank you for the letter to the company effort, a bit of relief. Now, what to do about those organic cans of tomatoes, plastic orange juice containers, etc., etc.

4. Anonymous December 15, 2009 at 12:58 pm #

styrene is not safe.

• Dana September 14, 2012 at 11:53 pm #

I took note of your comment and looked into styrene. I was disturbed that occupational contact with the material is regulated by OSHA. Do you have additional information regarding NAS and SAN that would be helpful in deciding if the Brita is safe to use?

5. Anonymous December 16, 2009 at 12:01 pm #

Thank you for this research. I have recently read some articles about BPA and have become much more consious of what I'm using with my foods and water. I was glad to find your answers about BPA and the Brita. Thank you!

6. Anonymous December 18, 2009 at 11:55 am #

Thank You for taking the time to initiate the questions about how safe are the Brita water pitchers. I just purchase one for my son to be used in his dorm room. it's comforting to know that the Brita Pitcher is still consider to be safe.

7. Anonymous January 11, 2010 at 3:33 pm #

Hi – Have you done any research on the large plastic Poland Spring dispensers? 5 gallon size, I think. I am 6 months pregnant and it has suddenly occured to me that I have no clue if I have been drinking BPA water this entire time… UGH!

• Ursula January 19, 2011 at 5:33 am #

These large dispensers are extremely dangerous and I would discontinue use immediately. Poland Springs is under scrutiny for the methods they use to obtain their water. I do not trust any bottled water anymore. Many of them are just tap water! Stick to filtered brita water from the tap. Tap water is tested 300x a month, unlike bottled water which is hardly FDA regulated (1 person oversees the department). It’s truly ludicrous.

• Anonymous 2 April 21, 2011 at 3:40 pm #

Watch the movie “Tapped”. It directly addresses the big dispenser bottles and claims they are the absolute worst — worse than plastic bottles. (Also has a lot to say about Poland Spring…).

8. Anonymous January 17, 2010 at 11:00 am #

Thanks! I too have been concerned about this for some time. My four year old son has had water from a brita pitcher from the time he was 1 (we had a faucet mounted brita filter for his first year). Every time BPA is in the news I fear that there might be contamination from the brita pitcher. This is reassuring!

9. Pam January 22, 2010 at 8:18 pm #

Thank you for your research, and now for a really stupid question: Is it safe to leave a full pitcher on the counter (with the filter inserted) or should I move the filtered water to another container? Thanks for being there!

10. Sheryl January 23, 2010 at 2:38 pm #

To the Poland Spring dispenser user — I don't know the composition of those jugs, but if the number in the chasing arrows embossed on the bottom is a 7, it might contain BPA. In that case, the safe thing to do would be to dispense with the dispenser.

It is not clear in any case that bottled water is a safer alternative than tap water, since bottled water is not nearly as well regulated as tap (though if you know for a fact that there have been water quality problems in your municipality, that's another matter).

If tap water filtered in a Brita pitcher doesn't seem adequate to you, you might consider installing an under-the-counter water filter.

Once your baby is born, avoid clear plastic baby bottles and sippy cups as they are often made with BPA, as are food cans.

Here's some good advice from NRDC's Simple Steps site: http://www.simplesteps.org/chemicals/bisphenol-bpa

11. Sheryl January 23, 2010 at 2:40 pm #

Pam, I don't know of any safety reason to move the water to another container.

12. Anonymous January 31, 2010 at 2:42 pm #

Safety and Health Topics
    Styrene
    Styrene is primarily a synthetic chemical that is used extensively in the manufacture of plastics, rubber, and resins. About 90,000 workers, including those who make boats, tubs, and showers, are potentially exposed to styrene. Health effects from exposure to styrene may involve the central nervous system and include complaints of headache, fatigue, dizziness, confusion, drowsiness, malaise, difficulty in concentrating, and a feeling of intoxication. The International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) classifies styrene as a potential human carcinogen. It is also known as vinylbenzene, ethenylbenzene, cinnamene, or phenylethylene.

This came from osha

• Monica March 7, 2011 at 6:34 pm #

Thank you for posting this. I am 14 weeks pregnant and for the past 2 weeks I have had a perpetual headache. Finally I developed a fever and went to urgent care. They could not find anything wrong with me and continued to ask if I was drinking enough water. Yes, of course! along with the tylenol that was having no effect! I was sent home with instructions to go to ER if I got worse, but I stopped at a drug store, bought more tylenol and drank it on the spot with a bottled water. Hours later, I was relieved of both headache and fever, but I had run out of my bottled water. When I reached to get my new Brita filter, I realized that I had bought it 2 weeks prior, and it was the cause of my pain. I have not drunk from it since, and I have not had anymore headaches.

• Doc August 29, 2012 at 12:41 pm #

It the applications that you listed styrene is used strait. In the pitcher it is in polymerized form that is table to very high temperatures. Boiling point of styrene is below processing temperature of polystyrene, and in addition, it has tendency to self polymerize when it boils. In other words, even if the pitcher is melted the plastic form is still favorable. Styrene also have low odor threshold of 0.32 ppm~1.4 mg/m3. You can smell it well before it is harmful.

13. Anonymous February 11, 2010 at 5:55 pm #

I agree that, in the responses you've posted, Pur didn't explain how the pharmaceuticals were filtered out. As far as the answer for the plastics though, it seems as if their response was quite similar to Brita. Both were tested by the NSF so any "industry standards and specifications for material safety and chemical extraction" would most likely have been the same. The only differences seem to be that Pur phrased it that way, and that their plastics are recyclable and Brita's are not.

14. Christine February 12, 2010 at 7:00 am #

It should be noted that Pur did not clarify if the plastic casing surrounding their "replacement filters" contained BPA.

They said "There is no BPA present in any PUR pitchers/dispensers or lids."

They conveniently left out "filters."

Did anyone else notice this?

15. Anonymous February 12, 2010 at 7:54 pm #

Christine reread the last line in the first paragraph.

"Pur pitcher/dispenser filters are made from polypropylene,code #5, and also contain no BPA."

16. Michelle February 15, 2010 at 8:56 am #

Thank you. Very helpful informtaion.

17. Kurt February 23, 2010 at 12:24 pm #

I'm not sure what Pur needs to explain. The drugs are filtered out by the filter in the same way other chemicals are. The filtered water is tested to determine the extent of the reduction.

18. Anonymous March 1, 2010 at 1:58 pm #

It looks to me like both products are equal. I don't understand why you favor Brita over Pur because Pur didn't explain how it reduced pharmaceuticals, when Brita didn't mention it at all.

19. Anonymous March 18, 2010 at 12:55 pm #

Plastic #7, which is used by PUR, often contains BPA. All the health-related articles I've read about plastic #7 say you should avoid it.

• Tom October 16, 2010 at 6:25 pm #

Plastic #7 is, by definition, a catch-all mix of other plastics, so, while those items with BPA often are labeled #7 that, it does not work the other way that if it is #7 it contains BPA. In other words, being labeled #7 only tells us that we need to investigate further … which this poster did by asking the company.

20. Anonymous April 19, 2010 at 9:13 pm #

I've previously used Brita, but bought a PUR pitcher today because of the added benefit of filtering out pharmaceuticals.

This is all helpful information, Sheryl. Thank you for posting it.

21. nrrdgrrl April 21, 2010 at 1:06 pm #

I just got off the phone with Pur, who read to me the statement largely as it appears here, with one key difference: She said, "We do not add BPA to any pitchers." And I said, can you tell me whether or not the pitchers are BPA-free, yes or no?" And she could not. Very suspect to me.

22. Annyh May 16, 2010 at 8:47 am #

Sheryl thank you very much for this research! I ended using canned condiments and other consumer products in my life some time ago due to Bisphenol A.However, bottled water was my last concern, which I could not find an affordable solution for due in part to the lack of the BPA-free stamp on the packaging in the store shelves. Thank you very much.

23. anonymous 2 July 12, 2010 at 7:22 pm #

With all the discussion about BPA, which is dangerous enough, the mention of styrene as a component of the pitchers, seems not to have raised an eyebrow. Well, actually, one person’s earlier comment mentioned some of the serious health impacts linked to styrene as spelled out by the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC)
    Styrene is also known to leach. How could you sign off on these pitchers knowing that they have dangerous styrene components?

24. Brandon August 4, 2010 at 6:43 pm #

I have to agree with an earlier comment that recycle code #7 is NOT safe from containing BPA. Not sure I believe Pur’s claim there. I also agree that the use of styrene is harmful as well.

• Tom October 16, 2010 at 6:32 pm #

Yes, Styrene shows strong evidence of leeching … luckily the lids (the part made of styrene) are not in contact with the water (which is absolutely required for leeching) and many of us keep them in our refrigerator (leeching happens more in heat than cold). That said, I hope they are making a new model that avoids styrene entirely.
      As for plastic #7, that is a recycling code added in the 1980′s as a catch-all for blends of plastics … seeing the label #7 only means more investigation is necessary to determing if there is BPA, it does not mean there is, since there is no uniform resin formula that gets a #7 classification.

25. Peggy August 12, 2010 at 3:05 pm #

so what is worse for us? the chemicals that Pur claims to take out of the water or the styrene in their pitchers?

26. Anonymous August 13, 2010 at 4:17 am #

#7 is used as a catch all category used to represent a variety of plastics. The ones containing BPA include polycarbonates (labeled PC near the 7) and epoxy resins. But there are other types of plastics in the #7 class that don’t contain BPA.

• Justin October 5, 2010 at 6:37 pm #

Well said. Thanks for addressing this. I would encourage everyone concerned to absorb this info.

I work in retail and have had to address this misunderstanding more times than I can count. Unfortunately, news sources got it wrong and reported that *anything* under code 7 contains BPA. This, in turn, was picked up by copycat news agencies that didn’t do their own research, and then was perpetuated further through word-of-mouth. It’s a mess. The recycling code doesn’t tell you what specific plastics are in a product; it’s just a broad category used for recycling.

Code 7 does *NOT* necessarily mean BPA.

27. Lor August 14, 2010 at 11:28 pm #

Both Brita and Pur pitchers make me uneasy. Not recyclable and one with the ominous #7 “with out BPA. MMMM Porctor and Gamble and no BPA? MMMM. I would buy a couple of GLASS Gallon jugs purify your water and keep in in glass. Period. Plastic exchanges cells with everything at a much higher rate than the desity of glass.

• Lor August 14, 2010 at 11:29 pm #

That’s Density.

28. katu August 22, 2010 at 12:56 pm #

In spite of your comments, I decided to start to use PUR pitcher after reading the comments from companies. Feelings seem to dpend on peoples….. Thank you.

29. nnoell September 5, 2010 at 10:35 pm #

I’ve also been concerned about the plastics in the filter and pitchers – thank you all for research into BPA and styrene.

I’ve found one company whose pitchers are made of stainless steel, I’m waiting on their reply about the plastics used in their filters, but you all might be interested, its pricey though ($200+): British Berkefeld

30. Jerry September 6, 2010 at 6:36 pm #

Does anyone knows if you can buy a pitcher for the most part made of glass?

31. Lor September 6, 2010 at 8:27 pm #

Just use the plastic to filter the water and put in into glass jugs.
    I bought gallons of apple cider and now I store my water in those.
    Do not let anything sit in plastic in the refridgeratior. I store my washed spinich in between paper towels in two stainless steel bowls.

• Oraetlabora October 6, 2010 at 8:09 pm #

One cannot escape BisphenolA. I use filtered water just to pour it into a plastic coffee maker filled with coffe form a can lined with BPA. Also if you store anything in a glass jar with a metal or plastic cap…you are exposed to BPA.
      The FDA needs to step in.

32. Louise September 29, 2010 at 4:51 pm #

I have a concern with what I store food in in my freezer, right now it is in plastic containers, probably not good.

33. Justin October 5, 2010 at 6:40 pm #

Great article! I contacted Pur twice and was dissatisfied with their responses, as well. I will continue to use my Pur filter (since my main concern was BPA), but I certainly have lowered my opinion of the company as far as their honesty and communication are concerned.

34. George November 12, 2010 at 4:18 am #

does anyone know whether plastic electric hot water jugs contain BPA in the casing ?

35. Lor November 12, 2010 at 11:30 am #

Here is a basic fact. We are all exchanging cells with everything. Just the way it is. Before plastics glass, ceramics and steel were the main vessels of choice. Due to their intense and tight cell structures they exchange cells at a much slower rate than almost anything else.
    Plastic is not stable. In heat is releases more cells and not the healthy kind. Remember how icky your water tastes after its has been left in a plastic jug in your car? That’s because you are drinking plastic. Not good.
    Heat only in stainless steel or glass. Keep your food in glass containers. Not only do these items dorecycle better but they last ten times longer ( unless you break them)! Glass and stainless steel are your friends. Plastic was made to break, fail and deteriorate so you would have to buy it again and again so the company could stay in business. Bye bye ethics. Money, or human welfare….Mmmm. Makes you all warm and fuzzy.

• IW January 3, 2011 at 4:09 pm #

Well said, Lor. Get yourself some glasslock food storage containers people. They are even freezer safe. Use stainless steel or ceramic to cook with (look into the new nonstick ceramic coated pots and pans – the most promising new kitchen technology i’ve seen in a while) and get a glass blender. Use a knife to cut things, or get a nice all metal mandoline that you can buy replacement parts for and hand down to your kids, because, as i just learned most all food processors contain bpa.

Plastic is oil…. OIL. It’s hard to clean. Glass and stainless steel actually come clean. Plastic, not so much. (which reminds me, stay away from margarine unless you like to eat plastic and just eat the real, delicious, grass fed butter )

Use a stainless steel water bottle. These are not difficult or expensive things to do… They may cost a bit more upfront but you won’t have to replace them 10 times over.

36. ken November 12, 2010 at 2:37 pm #

very helpful, thanks for doing the work.

i was thinking of getting a water pitcher for the family, as we’re generally very health conscious, but now i think i’d rather just drink the good old tap water instead of water that has been sitting in a plastic tub (whether or not bpa free) and filtered by some weird black charcoal stuff that i never fully understood anyways.

that will keep it simple and affordable!

37. Mimi December 2, 2010 at 6:44 pm #

What it pretty much comes down to is that we are screwed no matter what we do. Tap water sucks, filtered water may have BPAs. God’s most perfect way to quench our thirst has been destroyed by man. How annoying.

I too, like all of you, have pondered how it is I am supposed give my family a decent drink of safe, clean water. But as some of you have suggested, I don’t think glass is the way to go either because we men have figured out how to ruin that too. I recently read that all glass will start being irradiated to kill the germs inside of it. Now I’m not sure what that will do to us, but I don’t want to find out. It’s not like our government or the FDA is going to step in. We could all start dropping like flies and they still won’t claim responsibility. They’re still trying to tell us that BPA is fine……along with MSG, chemicals in our food and pharmaceuticals by the fistful.

It saddens me the place we are in. But this is our new reality. The FDA isn’t looking out for our well being and they don’t work for us. Be cautious of anything you put in your mouth!!

38. Jenn December 10, 2010 at 6:24 am #

My husband and I have been dealing with infertility since 2004; Up until about 18 months ago (when we started learning about BPA), every drop of water we drank came out of an older Pur dispenser, and we drink a lot of water…. We just purchased a new Pur dispenser in hopes that it truly is BPA free. I do know this: the plastic has a different feel to it. Hopefully that’s good news, since BPA screws up estrogen and lowers sperm count. With any luck we’ll get to buy some glass baby bottles one of these days.

39. Lucille Patrone January 24, 2011 at 1:17 am #

I have used a Brita pitcher as well and have been researching the safety of the plastics used. I have also learned that any plastic container marked with #7 (as is PUR) has polycarbonate plastic and IS NOT SAFE. Plastics marked2,4 or 5 are considered “safe” based on current research.

• Doc August 29, 2012 at 12:26 pm #

This is not true, #7 is defined as others.
      Polycarbonate is there as well as polylactic acid biodegradable plastic that is perfectly safe, made from lactic acid.Lactic acid is naturally occurring acid for example in sour kraut.
      By the way acrylics and nylon are also #7.

40. erin April 17, 2011 at 9:18 pm #

Um… the Pur filters are also NSF certified and the NSF certification system has nothing to do with bpA.

Check out the information here:

You should notice that while Pur is checked for a longer list of things (and certified for those), the list of pharmaceuticals from their company response is not part of what was certified.

41. h2ofilters May 29, 2011 at 3:30 am #

Not really sure why some people are too concern about the pitcher filter plastics from Pur or Brita. Millions of empty bottled water disposed off annually are more harmful than one pitcher.

42. jackal October 21, 2011 at 10:00 am #

No wonder cancer and disease are epidemic. As long as a witless population continues to buy Franken-products, we’ll never be rid of the pinstriped psychopaths putting profits ahead of public health. They’ve even contaminated our beer, using plastic alloy bottles reinforced with BPA, which bottles weight less and produce more profit. Only consumers can exterminate those whose are out to destroy our health. Meantime, the stupid are responsible for keeping harmful products in the pipeline.

43. Janine October 21, 2011 at 2:37 pm #

There is an excellent film called “Tapped” that provides comprehensive information around the safety issues of plastic beverage containers as well as the lack of safety in drinking bottled water. See tappedthemovie.com

44. Jen C. December 4, 2011 at 5:03 pm #

Thank you for looking into this. My mom was recently diagnosed with breast cancer and while doing great with her recovery, has been trying to limit her exposure to BPA. She was interested in a Brita pitcher, but I didn’t not find any information about the big pitchers being BPA free. Your analysis was very helpful. Thank you!

• Sheryl December 4, 2011 at 6:31 pm #

Jen, I’m glad it was helpful. You may know this already, but food cans are a major source of bpa exposure, so that’s another thing to avoid. See this, for instance: well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/11/22/bpa-lurks-in-canned-soups-and-drinks

Good luck to your mom!

45. Alex February 12, 2012 at 1:55 am #

Thanks for the public service, this is very helpful!

46. Linja February 16, 2012 at 9:51 pm #

Thanks for the research. I was wondering about the pitchers. I once let me husband make lemonade in one and it got so pitted from the acid I had to throw it out.

Recently I was treated for a water-borne illness, and my dog has had pseudomonas infections, possibly from water. Our water is from a public water suppy that passes all tests. Because of our illnesses plus a recurring film inside water pitchers (even after filtering!) I now boil our water and filter it twice. Also I change the filters every 3 weeks. (Some material that an official at our water utility sent me detailed how bacteria can grow in carbon filters!) I realize that the boiling of water uses energy, but I don’t want to risk more parasites and bacteria. They took a long time to track down and treat.

Water is typically tested for e. coli but not for other bacteria and parasites. I don’t trust tap water any more.

47. dareadel April 25, 2012 at 7:51 pm #

@Linja: I share your concern about your water. But changing filters at that frequency seems very cumbersome.

Not every filter cartridge can quickly attract bacteria. If you use your filters frequently you don’t have to change before due time. Bacteria don’t survive well in aerated environment. So, using your filters often provides aerated conditions around the cartridge.

I think the better option is to use filter that uses solid carbon block cartridge which can last up to a year and are more effective than activated carbons in pitchers. They perform much better so you don’t have to do extra work to boil and filter.

48. Paul June 22, 2012 at 1:47 am #

Due to concerns over BPA and other chemicals leaching from plastic containers, I filter my water from the tap using a strong three stage filter and store it in glass bottles. There’s just no reason to take needless chances with my family’s health.

49. pauline August 18, 2012 at 3:08 pm #

to Jen C…
    those containers that have soy, rice, almond milk are also lined with plastic. it is impossible to escape contaminants with processed food. i have come to the conclusion that fresh organic food is the best way to avoid the most toxins. simple preparation methods using water work best for cooking. even baking, grilling, frying, heating without water creates acrylamides which are toxic. it’s a real battle and i agree that man’s greed has just about wiped us off the planet, slowly but surely…and maybe not so slowly. it is horrible.

50. Matt August 20, 2012 at 7:16 pm #

Thanks, for your info gathering. I have had the same brita pitcher for years and years and if it was made of bpa’s then they would have been severely leaching by now. Thanks to all the other comments as well, good info all around

51. vickie August 30, 2012 at 2:36 pm #

Any thoughts about those plastic cutting boards?

• Sheryl August 31, 2012 at 8:30 am #

Vickie, I am not sure that all plastic boards are made of the same material, but the standard, thick, white board is typically made of High Density Polyethylene (HDPE), which is considered one of the “safe” plastics.

However, a hardwood cutting board is less likely to be a source of bacterial contamination, so it is a better choice for that reason.

While plastic boards may be as safe as wood when new, research shows they become less safe with normal wear and tear. Specifically, the grooves created by knife use on the board can harbor bacteria. You can get an overview of the research from the scientist who oversaw it at http://faculty.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/faculty/docliver/Research/cuttingboard.htm or a more accessible summary here: http://www.rodale.com/cutting-boards-and-bacteria.

Thanks for asking this question. I think I will write a separate post about it when I have time to get into more detail on the bacterial risks and how to avoid them.

Sheryl

52. Intento Verde September 8, 2012 at 10:00 am #

Thank you for the information. I just bought a Brita pitcher, but it is still in the box, since I became after-purchase unsure about if it was a good and green option for our family and our planet. Regards, Anna.

53. Carrie October 4, 2012 at 11:12 pm #

Topic of BPA was on the news tonight, about it’s potential to harm women & their babies. I have also read that BPA may impair fertility. I checked my water bottle & it said it was BPA free. Then, wondered about the Brita container! This info was very helpful. Thanks.

54. Silver Surfer October 5, 2012 at 2:53 am #

I have a Brita pitcher which is made of Styrene Acrylonitrile. When I filter tapwater, both styrene and acrylonitrile leach into the filtered water from the walls of this pitcher. What is the point of filtering water, if some chemicals in very low concentrations, which probably are not that dangerous at those concentrations, are replaced by other nasty chemicals introduced into the water by Brita? I feel deceived and now dislike Brita very much.

• Sheryl October 5, 2012 at 8:32 am #

Silver Surfer, just curious — how do you know about the leaching? Did a lab do the testing?